Sunday 6 February 2011

David Cameron scraping the barrel

So, David Cameron thinks multi-culturalism has failed and minorities should conform to core British values, does he? (1)

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I can't help wonder if Dave is banging the bigotry drum to distract from economic problems, his travails over Andy Coulson and the freakshow of his NHS 'reforms' coming undone.

It's a reflex for British politicians when they sense they are no beloved by the public. never mind what a shit I am, at least I'm a British shit! Not like them! Nasty foreigners. And before you can say Kristalnacht ...

It was contemptible when Gordon Brown started on about 'British jobs for British workers,' when Ed Balls tried to do it during the leadership election, and its f**k**g contemptible now.

What are 'British Values'? Ones which British people themselves uphold, I mean. I suspect that with any attempt to codify them, it would quickly become apparent that Brits themselves don't pay the slightest due to them, and would also be liable for whatever penalty the Minister For Cultural Correctness can impose.

Not that's I'd necessarily oppose sanctions on organisations that are sexist, racist, foment hatred or whatever - I just don't want the Prime Minister targeting minority groups, and I doubt a list of 'British values' could ever be drawn up that wasn't more than the vaguest waffle.

I mean, look at the examples he gives - "To be British is to believe in freedom of speech and religion, democracy and equal rights regardless of race, sex or sexuality". That's the sort of aspirational waffle-speak you'd find in the UN Declaration of Human Rights. I'm glad to see so many people have realised how strongly they support that noble document. I'm disgusted to see the Prime Minister hypocritically using it to target minorities.

Go away, little man.
1 - "Muslims must embrace our British values, David Cameron says," by James Kirkup. Published in the Telegraph, 5th of February, 2011. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/david-cameron/8305346/Muslims-must-embrace-our-British-values-David-Cameron-says.html)

No comments:

Unsurprising

 From the Guardian : The  Observer  understands that as well as backing away from its £28bn a year commitment on green investment (while sti...