Saturday 23 September 2017

Poem

Since we can't talk about the 'lection, here's a poem, written by John Cornford during the Spanish Civil War.  He fought for the POUM, the anti-Stalinist militia which Orwell was part of.  Unlike Orwell, he didn't return to Britain.  He died, aged 21.

Poem

Heart of the heartless world,
Dear heart, the thought of you
Is the pain at my side,
The shadow that chills my view.

The wind rises in the evening,
Reminds that autumn is near.
I am afraid to lose you,
I am afraid of my fear.

On the last mile to Huesca,
The last fence for our pride,
Think so kindly, dear, that I
Sense you at my side.

And if bad luck should lay my strength
Into the shallow grave,
Remember all the good you can;
Don't forget my love.

No comments:

Unsurprising

 From the Guardian : The  Observer  understands that as well as backing away from its £28bn a year commitment on green investment (while sti...