Friday 14 September 2007

What a joyous day ...

Not only is Ahmed Zaoui free (1) , but Riverbend has made her first post on Baghdad Burning (2) since late April, when she told us her family was going to leave Iraq. They are now in Syria.
How is it that a border no one can see or touch stands between car bombs, militias, death squads and… peace, safety? It’s difficult to believe- even now. I sit here and write this and wonder why I can’t hear the explosions.

I wonder at how the windows don’t rattle as the planes pass overhead. I’m trying to rid myself of the expectation that armed people in black will break through the door and into our lives. I’m trying to let my eyes grow accustomed to streets free of road blocks, hummers and pictures of Muqtada and the rest… (3)

The sun might not be shining here in Palmerston North, but I feel radiant, today.

1 - 'SIS gives Ahmed Zaoui the all-clear,' unattributed NZPA atrilce in the Dominion Post, 13th of September 2007.
2 -
http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/
3 - ibid. From the post 'Leaving Home ...', 6th of September, 2007.

No comments:

Unsurprising

 From the Guardian : The  Observer  understands that as well as backing away from its £28bn a year commitment on green investment (while sti...